radical hacks PGP and WebStore on Windows sent in this documentation for getting WebStore and PGP working on a Windows Server

My wife & I run a small company that sells tall womens clothing. For the last 18 months, I have had a website that has been running web_store on a unix server (running Apache Version something) hosted by a large Australian company, ozemail. I was using pgp for unix to send all the orders, and we are used as an example of webstore in http://www.extropia.com/clients.html.

Things were going along very smoothly until last week, when I was told (on 15th November, 1999)....

"The existing facility will cease to be operational as of the 7th of November, 1999 for Y2K reasons."

Being somewhat shocked and very pissed off, I rang the ISP who said some contractor had found a signature file that could not be fixed and would most likely cease to work after 1/1/2000 so all unix machines were being shut down in 2-3 weeks.

I decided to try and migrate my working site to a virtual web server (with another ISP) running Microsoft-IIS/4.0 under NT. To make thing work under NT, I had to .....

  1. get the support techs to set the NT permissions for some directories like cgi-bin\User_carts (RWED) and cgi-bin\Admin_files (RWED)

  2. find out the absolute path names for my directories (as seen by the browsers). In my case it was e:\InetPub\vs210015\cgi-bin\ and so on.

  3. Change all pathnames to have double slashes like e:\\InetPub\\vs210015\\cgi-bin\\ (so perl would work)

  4. > 4) Change all paths to be absolute rather than relative ie e:\\InetPub\\vs210015\\cgi-bin\\Admin_files rather than .\Admin_files. ( the hack in rad_hacks that set the current working directory when running the perl scripts didn't work for me

  5. I had to download web_store_V2.0, read the instructions for NT, and copy the file "smtpmail-lib.pl" on top of "mail-lib.pl"

And it all worked! :)

Except for pgp, which didn't. :(

I stuffed around for a few days, and found....

  1. that if I used a system command within pgp_lib.pl, I could get it to go. I have tried to explain what I did in the comments, so maybe you could have a bit of a look to see if what I said was a good thing or a bit dodgey. Anyway, it works for me!

  2. I downloaded a copy of pgp Version: 2.6.3in for dos from somewhere in Germany (I live in one of those suspect non-US countries where you can't download pgp from mit.whereever.it.is). I tried to buy a registered copy of pgp V.anything tp run on a NT server from Network associates, but they didn't know what I was talking about. All I did was ftp pgp.exe from my local PC to a directory that had executable permissions, in my case e:\\InetPub\\vs210015\\cgi-bin\\pgp.exe.

Now it all works :)

Check out peter's modified PGP lib.